Updated: Sep 6, 2022
August Book: When Women Were Dragons by Kelly Barnhill
Lula's Revenge - Vending Machine Wines
- Chardonnay (Napa)
- 14.2% @ $27 per bottle
- Dry, rich, velvety
- Strong vanilla and toast oak flavor
- Acidity increases after opened
Wild Child Red Blend
- Serve chilled
- Wine for beer drinkers - sour beer quality
- "If Welches grape juice had a sour beer flavor."
- Lots of sediment
Official Pairing: One More Chapter
Our take on a French 75
1 oz. orange juice
2 oz. vodka
Shake over ice
Strain into coup glass
Top with champagne
Orange twist for garnish
Thank you to LaCour Kitchen and Bar for bringing One More Chapter to life and hosting our event!
Thank you to MS Book Festival for having us on the lawn! We had an amazing time promoting our podcast and celebrating literature. We will definitely be back!
Thank you to Quickvisuals for the AMAZING Photoshoot!
When Women Were Dragons Book Club Questions
The main character, Alex, had many different roles in the book. She was a daughter, a cousin, a student, and a mother. Which one do you think was her most important role? How do each of these affect her character development?
After the Mass Dragoning of 1955, a wave of silence and denial followed. The topic of dragons and the women who left became unmentionable. Why do you think that this topic became taboo?
Many topics in this book made me think about our conversation with Andrea Bart and Fleabag's women are born into pain scene. What does the book teach/remind us about female resilience?
This book discusses femininity - what it means to be a woman. How are dragoning and womanhood connected?
Why do you believe that Alex chose not to dragon?
The novel ends with Alex moving back into her old neighborhood, on the same plot of land where she had her first experience with a dragon. She chooses to fill and decorate her house with mementos of her life experiences with different people. Why is that impactful? How does it compare to her childhood home?
Why do you think that Kelly Barnhill will not do press for When Women Were Dragons?
Questions from https://knopfdoubleday.com/2022/05/02/when-women-were-dragons-discussion-guide/ and Georgianna's brain.
"There will be no explanation. There will just be reputation."
More on MS Book Festival
Again, thank you all so much for stopping by the booth! We love your book and wine recommendations! Added to cart. Can't wait to try them!
We got a lot of questions about podcasting in the book and wine world. We also had questions about appearances.
Do you want us to do a panel on podcasting?
Are you interested in us hosting a live event near you?
About Your Pals
Reading: Watching You by Lisa Jewel, The Last Ms. Parrish by Liv Constantine, The Bodyguard by Katherine Center, and Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus
Watching: House of Dragon, Daredevil, Victoria's Secret: Angels and Demons, and Resident Evil
Listening: Smartless, Happier with Gretchen Ruben and Morning Ritual
Playlist: 1.Fireshrine (Purity Ring) 2. It's a Sunshine Day (The Brady Bunch)
3. Seventeen (Sjowgren) 4. Lost in My Bedroom (Sky Ferreira) 5. Forever Drunk (Peach PRC) 6. 7 rings (Ariana Grande)
7. Love You Like a Love Song (Selena Gomez) 8. That's Not My Name (The Ting Tings)
9. I Want You (Tayla Parx) 10. Lost and Found (Katie Herzig) 11. Be Alright (Ariana Grande) 12. Trudy (Aston Merrygold) 13. Honey, Honey (ABBA) 14. Forever (Justin Bieber) 15. Matilda (alt-J) 16. Only Human (Jonas Brothers) 17. Walking On Broken Glass (Annie Lennox) 18. Cornelia Street (Taylor Swift) 19. Sunflower, Vol. 6 (Harry Styles)
20. Energy (The Apples In Stereo)
21. I Forgot That You Existed (Taylor Swift)
22. Daydreaming (Harry Styles)
And our September Book is....
Bottoms Up. Stay Weird.
-Georgianna and Laura